The activities of the Public Affairs professional in Brussels (and most other places, for that matter) can be summed up in three core activities:
- Gathering intelligence.
- Getting a message to policy-makers and influencers.
- Engaging with stakeholders and building relationships and coalitions.
Each of these activities can be supported online, and the purpose of the wheel is to exhibit this. It contains the three core activities at the centre, and moving out, online communications activities, and in the outer circle, the tools and tactics that support these.
- These could be placed in an order (1-6) starting with monitoring, through to content production, marketing and ending with community, which would in principle represent the correct way to approach most online endeavours, but it may not always be the case, plus I didn’t want to over-engineer.
- Yes, there’s plenty of overlap, hence the arrows. There should probably be more arrows, but again, didn’t want to over-engineer.
- Yes, there are far more tools and approaches, but this is specific to PA in Brussels, hardly the most advanced digitally, so this is fine for starters I think.
The wheel is by no means final, so would appreciate scathing criticism or (preferably) constructive suggestions for improvement.